Boston - More Than a Feeling



"More Than a Feeling" is a song written by Tom Scholz and first released by the rock band Boston as the lead single from their self-titled debut album on Epic Records in September 1976, with "Smokin'" on the flipside. The single peaked at number five on the Billboard Hot 100. The track is now a staple of classic rock and in 2009 it was named the 39th best hard rock song of all time by VH1.

After inventing the Polaroid Land Camera, guitarist Tom Scholz turned his knack for gadgetry into a second career when his multi-layered basement recordings became Boston's mega-selling debut. Among the top-selling records of all time, its first single, "More Than a Feeling," went Top Five in 1976. What at first sounded like a breath of fresh air on the stale mid-'70s airwaves soon turned stale due to incessant radio play; the song became lodged in the collective consciousness. As was the fashion of the day, "More Than a Feeling" begins as a gentle MOR song but bursts wide open when the sound of pounding drums meets the power chords of the main riff. Not exactly a power ballad, the song does display an extreme shift in dynamics throughout. From its breezy opening and the aforementioned power chords to the crunchy yet sugary chorus and brief bridge which makes way for Scholz's epic, noodle-style soloing, the formula was often repeated in the late '70s by lesser bands. Thus, "More Than a Feeling" is often pointed to as an example of everything that was wrong with the decade's music and is generally reviled by critics of '70s corporate rock.

More Than a Feeling Lyrics


I looked out this morning and the sun was gone
Turned on some music to start my day
I lost myself in a familiar song
I closed my eyes and I slipped away

It's more than a feeling, when I hear that old song they used to play (more than a feeling)
I begin dreaming (more than a feeling)
'Til I see Marianne walk away
I see my Marianne walkin' away

So many people have come and gone
Their faces fade as the years go by
Yet I still recall as I wander on
As clear as the sun in the summer sky

It's more than a feeling, when I hear that old song they used to play (more than a feeling)
I begin dreaming (more than a feeling)
'Til I see Marianne walk away
I see my Marianne walkin' away

When I'm tired and thinking cold
I hide in my music, forget the day
And dream of a girl I used to know
I closed my eyes and she slipped away
She slipped away.

It's more than a feeling, when I hear that old song they used to play (more than a feeling)
I begin dreaming (more than a feeling)
'Til I see Marianne walk away
Previous
Next Post »

1 comments:

Click here for comments
Anonymous
admin
June 28, 2014 at 8:03 PM ×

Nice tune! I Remember when I was a young man, this song brings back!!!!!

Congrats bro Anonymous you got PERTAMAX...! hehehehe...
Reply
avatar